Sunday, June 15, 2008

Week 3



My bankroll is up to $6,866.

I managed to get my small blind VPIP down to a nitty 33% as well.

Sunday night I got a cleaning bug and tidied up a load of my room. I'm going up to my parents on Wednesday so I'll probably finish cleaning and move a load of stuff I'm unlikely to need very often up there. It's strange how once you're into a routine you have way more time and energy for stuff. During the school year I was really lazy but now I seem to be getting loads of stuff done. I used to go to the gym about 4 times a week but that was about 5 years ago now and I've never been able to get back into that routine, hopefully once I've forced myself to go a few times it'll get easier.

Monday morning I played round 2 of the boards heads-up tournament with Oscar (Bohsman), I won 2 - 0. It was a good game, he missed some big draws in crucial spots which definitely helped me.

I won a little under a buy-in at 200nl, I felt I played o.k. I might have over adjusted in a couple of spots although, with the amount of hands I play, when I feel like I'm being played back at I usually am. There were lots of nits, which is great, but a couple of decent ones as well who were adjusting to me. Some of the fish I played at 100nl tightened up a lot at 200nl which was annoying. I cashed out $200 as well.

Second session went well and I won another 2 buy-ins. The tables were getting quiet and I didn't mind booking a win so I only got in about 500 hands for the whole day. There were 3 aggro regs on one of the tables I was playing at which was nice since I got AK twice, however the fish I was there for tightened up a lot, probably because he wasn't getting a chance to limp that much. I played a few tourneys on stars, didn't cash.

Tuesday morning was very quiet so I added in a couple of 100nl tables as well so I could get some hands in. I made about 1 and a half buy-ins at 100nl and 1 and a half at 200nl. I was playing pretty tight (by my standards) but I wasn't getting that many hands. Made a bad stack off against a nit as well, doh. I may struggle to clear this reload bonus in time.

Second session there was more action but I ended up dropping 2 and a half buy-ins.

I had an insanely head wrecking start to the day Wednesday, 1 guy called my 4bet OOP with JJ and flopped his set against my AA. I had a fish call me down with trips while I was value betting top pair. The same fish called me down while I was value betting top pair and the board four flushed on me, then it happened again against another fish only this time I had two pair. I had to play 1 or 2 tables of 100nl for a while again, and broke even there. I can't complain too much though since I finished the session up 3 buy-ins.

I didn't get a chance to put in a second session as I had a meeting. I got "Fooled by Randomness" by Nassim Taleb back from a friend and started into that.

Thursday morning was very quiet so I didn't get started until about 2. The tables didn't really pick up until about 3 or 3.30. I made a quarter of a buy-in but managed to get in about 450 hands which gave me a little under 100 party points and put a nice dent into my reload bonus. I needed 1250 points to clear the bonus and with the rest of today, Friday and Saturday to go I've still got to get in a little over 600 more points so I'll hopefully get it done in time but the lack of action in the mornings is a big problem. It's all very dramatic if you ask me. Will RedJoker clear his reload bonus in time and save the world or will the evil Anurag Dikshit fuck him over?????



Find out the exciting climax.........after this hand:

Party Poker, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: $335.65
BB: $247
Hero (UTG): $462.75
MP: $203
CO: $208
BTN: $308.50

Pre-Flop: A T dealt to Hero (UTG)
Hero raises to $8, MP folds, CO calls $8, 3 folds

Preflop is standard, all AXs are an open for me from any position. I get a call from the CO who's playing 20/14/3.7 over 474 hands. His slightly passive stats indicate that he probably has a fairly wide coldcalling range here. Something like 22 - JJ, 45s - KQs, 64s - KJs, KQo, AQo and maybe some suited aces or two gappers as well. Sometimes he may even turn up with some offsuit broadways or connectors as well.

Flop: ($19) 5 3 Q (2 Players)
Hero bets $10, CO calls $10

I flop an overcard, backdoor flush draw and two backdoor gutshots. This is a pretty dry flop so I can bet a little smaller. Anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3 pot would be my standard here and I'd usually mix it up a bit.

The small bet is designed to sometimes take the pot down cheaply without risking too much and induce calls from weak made hands; 66 - JJ, 54s/65s and complete air looking to float. This bet size will get bluff raised a decent amount as well but that's fine because, if I feel that his frequencies are skewed, I'm comfortable 3bet bluffing and I don't expect anybody at 200nl to be capable of bluff shoving over that.

I'd make the same size bet with made hands as well because there's very few draws on this board; 64s/67s.

Turn: ($39) 6 (2 Players)
Hero bets $34, CO calls $34

The turn is an interesting card. The reason for making a small cbet to induce light calls is because I'm going to be following up on a huge amount of turn cards. I'd check back a Q or a non spade 3 or 5 most of the time though. This bet will fold out most underpairs and floats which make up a large portion of his range. So, even though they're ahead on the flop, they're putting their money in almost dead since they have to fold the turn.

The 6 is an interesting card because it's not really a great card to double barrel, it improves a lot of his 1 pair hands; 54s and 64s now have a pair and OESD, 67s has a pair and gutshot, 65s has two pair, 66 has a set.

However, it also gave me the nut flush draw so bombs away. My bet sizing is a lot bigger here because the board is now much wetter and I don't want him to call with weak made hands or float me again. If I had a strong made hand I'd bet this big for value against a pair of queens which I fully expect him to call with.

River: ($107) T (2 Players)
Hero checks, CO bets $80, Hero folds

I'm very unlikely to triple barrel a dry board because I don't expect anything in his range which called two streets to fold on the river. I've spiked second pair so I might now have some showdown value and had a decision to make about whether I wanted to block bet small on the river, check call or check fold.

Having called two barrels his range is likely to be AQ/KQ/QJs/QTs as well as the pair + draw stuff and, every so often, a slowplayed monster. I don't expect him to turn the small pairs into a bluff on the river and there's not a lot of pure air in his range so block betting and check calling don't seem great.

Results: $107 Pot
CO mucked and WON $184 (+$132 NET)

There was lots more action when I started my second session, made another half buy-in and, more importantly, another 150 party points.

Made another 1 and a half buy-ins Friday morning. Broke even in the evening but grinded out a lot of hands so shouldn't have any trouble clearing the bonus tomorrow.

I won a little over 2 buy-ins Saturday morning, lots of action on the tables for a change. It quietened down a lot during my second session, made another half buy-in and cleared my bonus. Bit of an anti-climax in the end.

I didn't play at all on Sunday, I needed a day off and it's father's day so I decided to have a break.

I'll move $2k over to GJP tomorrow and start playing HU. I'll probably play in the mornings if there's more liquidity since I only play 2 tables of HU at a time but I'll play 4 at 6max and sometimes 5 or 6 if there's good tables going.

No comments: